Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Light Herb Bread

This is my invention.  I love it.  I use applesauce instead of oil.  (I do this a lot)  Dip a slice of this bread in your soup and "mmm" savor it.  I made it today and my home smells divine now.

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry sage
1/4 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp. dry marjoram
2 Tbsp. dried spinach flakes
1/2 diced onion (I used 2 Tbsp. of dried onion flakes)
1 1/2 Tbsp. applesauce
1/2 Tbsp. dough enhancer
2 Tbsp. gluten
1 Tbsp. flaxseed
1/4 or more cup of chopped walnuts

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups (or just less) of white flour

Mix and knead for 6 - 8 minutes.  Raise 1 hour. Punch down. Shape into loaves (2 regular sized ones or 4 mini).  Raise again 45 minutes. 

Bake on 375 for 25 - 35 minutes depending on size of loaves.

***Hint: make this bread in the morning so your home smells delish all day long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yummy!